Jaipur is the capital city of Rajasthan and one of the best states to visit for tourists in India. Rajasthan is the land of palaces, forts and is known as the Land of Kings by many. This is a great city with many tourist attractions and vibrant culture and cuisine. Jantar Mantar, City Palace, Amer Fort, Jal Mahal, and Hawa Mahal are some of the top tourist destinations in the city. Nahargarh Fort that overlooks the entire city of Jaipur is a major tourist destination in Jaipur. This fort was built in the 18th century and today is a very important tourist destination in Jaipur. The following are some of the details of the Nahargarh Fort:
Nahargarh Fort – Overview
- Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh who was the king of Jaipur in 1734 built this fort as a place of retreat in Jaipur. Eventually, this fort became part of the defense of Jaipur creating a fortress around the city along with the Amer Fort and the Jaigarh Fort in the city.
- This fort was later extended further in the 19th century and many palaces were also built around the fort during this time. The Madhavendra Bhawan was built by Sawai Madho Singh and this palace has beautiful frescoes and architecture.
- The Nahargarh fort has never been under attack in its history but has been used during critical times for protection. Treaties were signed at this fort and the British also used this fort to protect themselves during the Indian Mutiny of 1957.
- Nahargarh Fort is located in the Aravalli Hills and it overlooks a splendid lake. Nowadays there is a gorgeous restaurant with an excellent view of Jaipur overlooking the city at the top of the fort. There is also a food court at this tourist destination.
More Details about Nahargarh Fort
- The department of archeology and museums has established the Jaipur Wax Museum at this site. This has become one of the major tourist attractions in Jaipur and made the fort even more popular with the tourists.
- The Jaipur Wax Museum has statues of many major Indian personalities and the Sheesh Mahal is also a major attraction along with the Jaipur Wax Museum at this fort.
- The Sheesh Mahal has a magnificent display of glass work and mirror work which is absolutely beautiful and a great tourist attraction in the fort. The Palace of Mirrors has been built using millions of glass pieces. The overall interior design has a lot of gold color used to create a very royal look to this palace.
- Many Bollywood films have chosen this fort to shoot their films as it has great architecture and a wonderful view of the city of Jaipur.
How to Reach Nahargarh Fort in Jaipur
Nahargarh Fort is around six kilometers from the city. There are bus services available but the best way to reach this fort is to hire a cab from the city. This fort is open from 10 am in the morning to 5.30 pm in the evening and the entry fee to this fort for domestic and foreign tourists is both quite reasonable.
Jaipur is one of the top cities to visit in India and has a great infrastructure for domestic as well as foreign tourist. This vibrant city is a city of forts and palaces with a rich history. Jaipur’s Nahargarh Fort is an example of the great architecture of the city and also its royal history. Jaipur gets millions of tourists every year and the government looks to make tourism to Jaipur as a major source of revenue for the city.